The College was built in 1980, and currently has about 1150 pupils and eighty teachers, it is one of the biggest secondary schools in Ireland.
St Oliver's was part of the Town of Drogheda V.E.C. but in January 1998 this was amalgamated into Co. Louth V.E.C. The first principal of St Oliver's was Eamon Cooney and, when he moved on to the VEC Office in 1998, his successor became Terry Mahon. After almost 10 years in the job Terry Mahon retired and St Oliver's got its third principal Dan Toole who held the post for three years before current principal John Halpin.