School crest Source  

U-14 Gaelic 2010-11



ST OLIVERS 4-3 ARDEE 2-8 05-11-10:

St Oliver’s campaign started with a hard fought victory against a strong, resilient  Ardee side at home. The Gael force wind and soggy conditions did not interrupt an upbeat, energetic performance from both sides for 60 minutes.  Ardee played a short passing game and scored the opening two points from placed balls with the wind in their faces. Oliver’s responded with two fine, long range points from prominent centre back Jamie Farnan. The first goal came from Shane Murray whose long, high shot looped over the helpless goalkeeper rooted to the spot. The key to Ardee’s revival came through J.P. Rooney. The master craftsman’s drive in midfield played a part in two quick goals prior to the half time whistle with the Oliver’s defence, loose in marking and not clearing danger quickly enough.

After an uplifting team-talk, the second half proved to be a more physical, focused performance from an Oliver’s point of view. They united as a team and passed into wide areas of the park. Robert Guinn and Caoillte Hickey carried the ball into attack mode at every chance and used possession very wisely. A Bernard Thompson bravely fisted goal from a Conor Tully free kick reduced the gap to one point but Ardee raised their tails again using the wind to their full advantage with three long range points over the middle period of the second half. From here on Oliver’s took complete control of the game and dominated the remainder of the game. Andy Kirk used all his strength to break through the Ardee defence and set up a Jamie Farnan goal which reduced the deficit to one with 7 minutes remaining. J.P. Rooney was being double marked and was less influential in Ardee’s attack. Oliver’s panicked with a host of chances and lost possession which resulted in a point blank save from goalkeeper Darren Berill whose save was flicked over the bar. With time running out there was still time for a dramatic finale to proceedings.

                        Three minutes remained with Oliver’s having all the possession camped in the Ardee half with two points the margin. Jamie Farnan was instructed to kick for a short free over the posts, which instead he drove, low for three and the ball was cleared.  However, in injury time there was one last attack involving super sub Dillon O’ Brien. Who hammered a low drive into the corner of the net with the final whistle a breath away. (Report by P.Monaghan)

St Olivers team: D.Berill, A.Everard, R.Byrne, A.O’Connor, R.Guinn, J.Farnan (1-3), A.Tully, C.Hickey, B.Thompson (1-0), C.Tully, A.Kirk (Capt.), S.Murray (1-0), C.Whelan, A.Kierans, P.Maguire.

Subs: Dillon O’ Brien (1-0), Thomas Meade, Aaron Kenna, David Starrs, Dylan Derby, R.Cunningham, S.Doyle, Davi, M.Ibeto.
Manager: P.Monaghan.


ST OLIVERS 2-7 COLAISTE RIS 2-5 19-11-10:

St. Oliver’s knew that an away win would set up a Quarter Final position for the first time in seven years. With Colaiste Ris only losing out to De La Salle by one point this game was going to prove to be a draining, hard fight to get any positive result. The conditions were dry and the sun split the eyes of goalkeeper Darren Berill in the first half. Oliver’s fired out of the blocks with two well engineered points, one off the right-foot from Dillon O Brien and one off the left-foot from Conor Tully. This woke up Colaiste Ris who dominated proceedings for the next ten minutes and missed plenty of guilt edged chances thanks to two top class saves from Darren Berill between the posts. However, one stop resulted in an oncoming forward finishing a rebound to the net. With a low scoring first half both teams were evenly matched with the one goal proving the difference between the sides.

At the break, the importance of lifting the tempo of the game and carrying the ball at the Colaiste Ris defence with power and team communication was the main focal point. Oliver’s passed the ball successfully with short hand passing skills which broke down the defence on many occasions but like Colaiste Ris in the first half there were a host of wasted chances within this dominant period. This resulted in Colaiste Ris landing a great point on the counter-attack. With the gap now three points Aaron Kierans moved into the centre back berth creating a more solid and fluent approach to Oliver’s attacking play. From thereon Conor Tully and Caoillte Hickey linked midfield with attack and set up a great score from Shane Murray.
With ten minutes remaining it was looking like a day where goals only would prove decisive but with Oliver’s heads now held high the game was available for the taking. Andrew Tully began an attack which involved passing between Caoillte Hickey, Andy Kirk, Conor Whelan and finally a dummy shot from Conor Tully and a power drive with the left foot crashed to the back of the net. With the adrenaline on Oliver’s side another counter attack with Robert Guinn landing a 30 yard pass to Jamie Farnan who thought of nothing else but net as he hit an explosive drive from an impossible angle. With Olivers now four points to the good and just 10 minutes remaining, Colaiste Ris raised their game and planned an all out attack which resulted in a lucky deflected goal past a helpless Darren Berill. With Adam O’ Connor, Jordan Murray and captain Rob Byrne all excellent in defence this sucker punch was hard to take and made for an exciting finale for the neutral.
However, St. Oliver’s dug deep and outscored Colaiste Ris by three points to two and held out all remaining goal threats in a sturdy, resolute defensive display. This famous win now places St. Oliver’s against De La Salle next week to determine who will win the Group with both teams already on four points. (Report by P.Monaghan)

St Olivers team: D.Berill, J.Murray, R.Byrne (Capt.), A.O’Connor, R.Guinn, J.Farnan (1-2), A.Tully, C.Hickey, C.Tully (1-2), Dillon O’ Brien (0-2), A.Kirk, S.Murray (0-1), C.Whelan, A.Kierans, Maxwell Ibeto.

Subs: A.Everard, A. Kenna, Dean O’Reilly, Vasyl Chekansky, Conor Haggans, M.Maguire, S.Doyle, Davi, P.Maguire.
Manager: P.Monaghan.