Header image Source  

U-18 Gaelic 2018-19


A St. Oliver's/ Ballymakenny amalgamation were well beaten by St Joseph's in the opening round of the Lennon Cup. Despite the loss, Paul McEvoy, Adam Kirwan and Ciarán O'Dwyer put in very good performances. Next up is another tough assignment against a very strong De la Salle outfit.

Despite putting in an improved second half performance St Oliver's/Ballymakeeny were comprehensively beaten by De la Salle in this second round group match. Next up is Colaiste Cuchulainn in the Lennon Shield Semi-Final.



With St Mary's, Dundalk awaiting the winners in the Lennon Shield Final, both St Oliver's/Ballymakenny and Colaiste Cuchulainn were eager to put the disappointment of their respective group results behind them. This was a first meeting between these teams at senior level and although the scoreline may suggests that St Oliver's/Ballymakenny were dominant in this encounter, it was quite the opposite until mid-way through the second period.

St Oliver's got off to the ideal start in the opening few minutes when Adam Kirwan played Adam Harper in with a pin-point pass and the former dispatched the ball to the back of the Colaiste Cuchulainn net to leave two points between the teams after Colaiste Cuchulainn's opening point from a free.
The teams traded score for score with Ben Smith scoring four for St Oliver's/Ballymakenny and Jamie McCarthy and Mark Carroll chipping in with scores also. St Oliver's/Ballymakenny were left to rue a couple of missed goal opportunities as Colaiste Cuchulainn began to dominate around the middle as the half wore on and went in a point up at the break. An unfortunate injury to St Oliver's corner back Anthony Dillion held up play for a few minutes and he had to leave the field of play for what turned out to be a rather serious broken wrist. We wish Anthony a speedy recovery. The second half started nuch the same as the first ended with Colaiste Cuchulainn dominating preceedings, but similarly to the first half when St. Oliver's/Ballymakenny were in control, they failed to covert their control to scores on the scoreboard and st Oliver's rallied with scores from corner back James Smith (2), Ben Smith (4) and Adam Harper (1). By now St Oliver's/Ballymakenny were in full control around the middle sector with Mark carrol in particular getting on a lot of ball. Adam Harper and Ben Smith were a constant threat in the full forward line and further scores were to arrive from Mark Carroll (2) and a Jamie McCarthy goal. Colaiste Cuchulainn did not go down without a fight and launched an offensive on the St Oliver's rearguard, but goalkeeper Johnny Clear and Fullback Adam Flynn were determined to keep their opponenents at bay. St Oliver's/Ballymakenny ran out eight point winners in the end and go on to meet St Mary's, Dundalk in the final.

Man of the match for St Oliver's/Ballymakenny was corner forward Adam Harper who was a constant thorn in the side of our opponents. James Harper, James Smith, Adam Kirwan and the hardworking Adam Rooney were also to the fore for the victors.

St Oliver's/Ballymakenny: J.Clear, J.Smih (0-2), A.Flynn, A. Dillon, J.Harper, P.McEvoy, C.O'Dwyer, M.Carroll (0-3), A.Kirwan (0-2), P.Coleman, N.Potomski, A.Rooney, A.Harper (1-2), B.Smith (0-9), J.McCarthy (1-1), J.Tobin, D.Lynch, C.Everitt, K. Akinbode, S.Cooley, B.Abedeen (0-1)